Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

Monday and Tuesday

1. I have decided to omit "what I learned on" in the titles of my posts - this is more of a declaration as opposed to something actually learned, or well I guess I could say I learned I'm too lazy to type "what I learned on" in the title of each post...

2. My car still won't start. Not that I have tried anything but starting it. I keep thinking it will magically heal itself like Christine. It has done it before, honest.

3. I am listening to the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis on CD and they have setup the discs so that each track is one chapter. Its nice because there are only about 4 chapters per disc, so only four tracks. Makes it easy to simply stop at the end of the chapter and then pick up where you left off later. However, what I learned today was that if you stop in the middle of the chapter it is very annoying to try to fast-forward through the reading to find your place. I also have the Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien on CD and they were set up with a new track every 3 minutes, regardless of where in the chapter you were. This made for 20 - 24 tracks per CD, however it is a little easier to pick up where you left off.

4. Z/OS is not bullet-proof, well atleast the machine that my z/OS is running on isn't. We have an issue where some of the storage units seem to have magically been "erased" or perhaps "initialized" either way , they don't even contain their volume label anymore although they formatted correctly.

5. I learned that I am baffled by window's 2003 DNS scavenging. For some reason it likes to delete my mailservers A record. That causes all sorts of issues for CVS as well my savvy users who insist on Thunderbird over Outlook. The answer at the moment. Turn Scavenging back off.

6. Thanks to Oprah, I learned it is not smart to hire a stripper for your 16 yr olds bday party. It is also really not smart to allow your 14 yr old son to take explicit pictures - it is really really not smart to then take the roll of film to your neighborhood Walgreens.

7. I got the protective contacts removed yesterday and now my vision is at 20/25 - I have another appt. next week, hopefully it will keep improving. I think x-ray vision would be nice, but I doubt I'd get invited to any more FOA events .. or anywhere for that matter.

8. I received a quote from IBM for a new P-series box that would allow us to use lpars and run both AIX 5.3 and I/OS simultaneously -- only about 125K.. for a machine that between the two platforms, we have about 6 customers. Not really worth it at this point.

9. I learned that there is a lot more to do then just pick out new chairs when it comes to re-doing our current office space. I have to make the determination if we should rip our existing cat 5 cable and bump it up to cat 6 . We signed a 10 yr lease - so it seems to make sense that we should upgrade now so that we will be able to accommodate faster speeds in the future.. but I need to do some more research.

Comments:
Chris is listen to those books too. He has them in electronic versions (like mp3) on his smart phone. He has the coolest phone.. He been listening the Chronicles for a few weeks. He has really enjoyed them It is really easy to leave bookmarks that way.

He brought it to London and it was so cool that he only had to bring his phone and earphones. (ok he stole my ipod buds)

Perhaps Beth can surprise you with an MP3 player as a consolation prize for not getting x-ray vision.

Hope your eyes get even better.. No one is getting near my eyes .. (stay way evil doctors)
 
Glad to hear your eyes are better!!20/25 is pretty darn good. Oh how I look back on those days of good vision. 20/25 is a thing of the past!!

Maybe one day my cheap husband will pony up the money for me to get my eyes fixed too. Probably not, but I guess a girl can always dream.
 
That is great news about your eyes. Hmmmm, X-ray vision...you sure would have a good time in Vegas huh?

I am thinking that you should buy that IBM thing! Oh, did I mention that my husband works there.

Ok, so did you really need Oprah for that? I was watching that and thought "What the heck is wrong with these parents???"

Glad you are back to blogging!
 
damn straight your not getting a stripper for you 16 year old son.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?