Friday, January 13, 2006

 

What I learned on Friday

1. This site actually came in handy today when I needed to install J2SE w/Netbeans on a linux box. I just clicked the handy link I put in my first post. Yay me !

2. If your Blackberry device won't boot, ie it never gets past the hour glass after you turn it on, you can use a little executable called javaloader.exe to actually connect to the device and delete the entire application partition. After it is wiped, you can then use the Desktop Manager's application loader to re-install all the software.

3. After you wipe out a Blackberry 7150t and reload the applications, if you accept the defaults, the PHONE application will not be loaded ! You have to go through the apps and make sure the phone app is selected to be installed manually. It was sort of funny after I reloaded the device, got the email working and then found that it did not work as a phone at all. You couldn't make or receive calls.

4. To setup a red hat box as an NTP client from a desktop session you click system -> date and time and check the NTP box. How simple is that ? Almost windows-esque.

5. I finally got ghost to work on my Bart PE disk. After what seems like months of searching the ghost CD for the right files to add to the PE Build, I finally found that if you install the "standard tools" not the enterprise client or server, you will get the files that you need. Good old ghost.. I can remember way back when it was shareware, before norton bought it and symantec bought norton.. but I digress...

6. I started watching some of the instructional videos included in the win2k3 server resource kit. I didn't realize all the security features available in WSH 5.6 or that some of the VBScript IDE's actually had "intellisense"-like capabilites. I always just used UltraEdit.

7. The enigneer working on the Inter-Tel phone system today said that it was impossible to have a message lamp light up on two phones for the same mailbox, because a mailbox can only be assigned to one extension. The enigneer I spoke to on Wednesday (the one who told me about the hold music) said that it wouldn't be a problem to have the message lamp light up on two phones whenever there is a message in the "community" voicemail box.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?