Thursday, January 12, 2006

 

What I learned on Thursday

1. Some people never learn. This is an email I received this morning @ 8:45am.

I'm missing some files. How do I get them back? Our meeting is at 9 am.


2. I forgot how much I liked this site to ensure your firewall is actually doing its job. ShieldsUP!

Seems that there are alot of people that don't like Steve Gibson or his Shields up site. My personal opinion is that the site definitely has some good features and can help novice users identify some common major problems with their systems.

3. If your auto complete in Windows Explorer is not working (e.g. if you open an explorer window and type C:\prog then hit the key, and C:\program files doesn't appear) you can enable it by going into Internet Explorer, click Tools-> Internet Options , click the Content Tab then click the "Auto Complete" button. Click the "web addresses" box and click OK then OK again. Now Try It. It makes no sense to me whatsoever as what do "web addresses " and local drive paths have to do with each other ? But whatever. It works. Here is the official article.

4. Freakin DNS - I was wondering why my scavenging of stale RR's wasn't working as I had enabled it on the forward and reverse zones. Well - you actually need to enable it on the server as well, not just in the zones you want to have scavenged. Probably more on this later.

5. If you are trying to install the PDF JobReady client and server on the same machine, and you run into authentication issues, just uninstall both and then reinstall server, then the client.

6. I'm glad the FOA girls are enjoying my techno-babble - I will try my best to keep it up !






Comments:
I was once your worst nightmare! Well at least the marketing department was. We had our own server but somehow managed to max out at least once a month. We also lost files all the time that had to be retrieved from the back up disks. Oh how I miss my IT guy Spencer! He could always make it all better and at least smile to my face.

Hugs Brian! Maybe I'll learn something by reading your blog. If not, at least I know who to call if I have PC problems ;-).
 
And I do have your phone number! Mwahaha haha haha!
 
ummmmmmmm..........sure. Remember Charlie Brown's teacher and all we heard her say was wa wa wa wa wa wa wa. YEP! That's all I heard when I read this. LOL!!!

-Sara
One of the FOA girls
 
Hey Brian,

I understood the first and the last thing on your list. The rest of it was definitely Charlie Brown's teacher. Wawawawa...

Glad to see you have a blog Brian!

Tracy
An FOA girl!
 
OMG... I used ShieldsUP! to test my firewall (back before all the negativity the site received). Does this mean I have some techno-geek in me?!? Geek, of course, is meant in the most positive way :D

Jenn B.
~another FOA girl~
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?