Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 

Wednesday

1. You must respect the UNIX command line . You can do some pretty sweet / dangerous stuff there. Today I used # find /$PATHTOCHANGE -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \; to traverse a directory structure that I needed to set the special bit on the group perms so that all files created in the directory structure will be owned by the group that owns the directory.

2. In the training room the DNS server was in a fuzzy state - meaning it would resolve for all domains except one, I cleared the cache to no avail and then restarted the service, that did the trick.

3. I can't send or receive emails on my desktop at home. Outbound TCP Ports 110 and 25 are being blocked locally by my machine some how. All other machines on my home network have no issues with these ports and I can not telnet to the usual servers via these ports on my desktop which leads me to believe they are being blocked locally. As far as I know the Windows Firewall is inbound only so I dont' think its a windows thing - it should be a third party app thing.. I think a reboot might fix it , but I don't want to reboot. I'm looking into the norton antivirus as a possible culprit...

Comments:
Perms was the only word I understood. Why are you talking about perms in your blog?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?