Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

Saturday

1. I've move from interop hell to solaris patch help -- we have a customer that wants us to port our app to Solaris 64-bit w/SunStudio 10. Of course SunStudio 10 costs 3K even though SunStudio 11 is free. Anyway - I get the eval version of the product and install in on the our Sol 8 box. The developer runs into problems immediately and asks if all the compiler patches have been applied. So I checked the download page and there was no mention of additional patches available... curious. So I search the site and find the patch page for Studio 11.. but not ten. Turns out the magic search phrase was Sun Studio 10 patch page That lead me to a page that contained links to patches for all the Sun Studio products. This is where patching for Solaris / Sun studio starts to stink pretty badly -- compared to AIX and HP-UX.. and even red hat for that matter. I found a grocery list of patches that can be applied, each for my individual downloading and installing pleasure. There is no ability to bundle the patches, you simply must download the .zip file and copy to the machine and install it. So I start downloading the 15 or so patches that were recommended. Here is how I was able to "batch" install the patches

1. download patches to NFS mount
2. cp *.zip /tmp/patch ; cd /tmp/patch
3. unzip \*.zip ( the \ is required when using a wildcard for unzip ... doesn't work otherwise.)
4. ls > patches (unziping the patches creates a directory with the patch name for each patch, kicking those directory names into a file creates the list of patches we want to install for the next step)
5. patchadd -M /tmp/patch patches

its not pretty but it works --


2. I was thinking about my Mac interop problems and maybe I don't need OD at all. I was thinking I could just leave the user profiles local to the machine. So that way i wouldn't need "managed options" or whatever those mac fellas call it. As it stands now... the Xserv is still hosed up though - when i attempt to connect to an smb share on the box with a windows machine, I get "The account is not authorized to log in from this station" and when i try to connect via smb to the share with a mac client I get "invalid user name and password" . However, I can logon to the Xserv with my windows user name and password, so i know it is bound to the directory correctly its seems to be more of a samba issue.

Comments:
Ok, so your blog would be so much better if it was written in english. But I understand your purpose. Don't forget that on Sunday you learned that Jon will do anything for money. Frightening, eh?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?