Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

Thursday

1. I've been in interop hell... I really want a single directory for all the linuxes - unixes - windows and macs. Is that so much to ask ?

I bought an Xserv running Panther about a year and a half ago with the intention of consolidating all the random windows boxes running AFP as well as a few solaris boxes and putting all the storage on the Xserv. I want to have some security on the files so I need the xserv to be hooked into either the NIS or AD. Something that it is supposedly capable of. I ran into issues on both sides and just shelved the project. But now I find myself revisiting the project because I want to decommison an old Sol 7 box that happens to be running an AFP server (it is also running cvs, samba, ntp and nis). So I need to get the Xserv working. I heard that Tiger had better interop with AD -- so I thought I would upgrade to 10.4 -- wrong -- no upgrades to 10.4 so i need to spend another $1000 on a tiger license even though I never used the panther license... so lame. Anyway - I found a good Tutorial on setting something similar up on www.afp548.com but they want you to have two Xserv's one running Open Directory and the other acting as the fileserver. There is no way I'm going to buy another xserv. They say that 10.3 doesn't play well when it is the OD master and a member of the AD. So maybe I should just buy the dumb 10.4 license. On the NIS side of things I would love to have AD run as the NIS master, so then we could use LDAP for the linuxes that support it and use NIS for the older unixes that don't.

2. Oh yea.. when I rebooted my FC4 box that I setup as the nis slave.. ypserv didn't start automatically -- because the domain name wasn't set, despite the presence of the /etc/defaultdomain file. Turns out FC4 looks at /etc/sysconfig/network for the domain name so I had to add NISDOMAIN="dlogics.com" to get the domainname set correctly.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?